Re: K3S parts availability???

Lyn Norstad

What is the policy of other manufacturers in the ham market today?  (Not that Elecraft should be guided by contemporaries who may be perceived - rightly or wrongly - as ‘lesser’ - but still … ).

Back in the Collins/Drake/Hallicrafters heydays, most (“most …”) parts were standard and interchangeable.  Not so much today.  First of all, how many current hams are likely to do extensive board level repairs with tiny little SMDs?  And how many of the parts used in today’s SDRs are custom (ASICs, FPGAs, displays, etc.)?  Can you source your own parts?  A few, but not many.

So, what policies do Icom, Kenwood, Flex, etc. have in place re: replacement parts and modules for discontinued models?  And for how long?

I see this as a much bigger concern now than it was 50 years ago.

Lyn, W0LEN

From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io [mailto:Elecraft-K3@groups.io] On Behalf Of Mark Morin
Sent: Friday, November 06, 2020 8:30 AM
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-K3] K3S parts availability???

Fred, I agree with you that it’s disappointing from a company that enjoys such a stellar reputation for support to discontinue their flagship product without adequate parts in inventory to provide continued support for the product. 

I understand that building parts inventory for a discontinued product isn’t the most efficient way to run a business in the short term, but it’s the RIGHT way for long-term success and sustaining customer good will. 

I used to work for a large radio manufacturer whose policy it was to maintain a supply of spare parts fo a minimum of 10 years after the cancellation of a product. That usually meant a final production run for spare parts, which the accountants might have thought wasteful but more enlightened management saw as a vital long term investment.

this survey to see which parts have sufficient demand for a production run seems like a penny-punching approach. I had hoped for better when I chose Elecraft for my station equipment. 

Mark VA2MM 

Join Elecraft-K3@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.