Re: Best way to remote a K3 or K3S

KE8G

Colin,
I use a WebRelay manufactured by the Control by Web Company, model # X-WR-1R12-1i5-i ( the "i" are capitalized, but too hard to tell in an email).  I use this to bring PIN 8 to ground and that turns on the K3S.  First off, when I am away from the station, I use Chrome Remote Desktop to get into the PC at the station.  I open a web browser and use the IP address of http://192.168.1.45 which is what the WebRelay is configured to.  The set up is pretty straight forward in the instruction manual.  This then turns on the K3S.
  Next, I turn on the Win4K3suiite, after that is running, I turn on the N1MM+ software.  When using this combination, you need to provide a virtual com port as N1MM and Win4K3Suite want to use the same com port for rig control.  I use 0com0, which is a free download and follow the directions to configure it.  Once those two programs are running, I access the KAT500 via its software to keep a watch on the antennas.  If I am going to use the KPA500, I activate that software,   To rotate my beam antennas, I have a Green Heron control box that is hooked via USB to the PC and use N1mm+ to change beam headings.

After all of that, it's pretty much "point and click" to operate the radio, tuner, amp, rotor, etc.  It's pretty much like sitting down in front of the radio.

The only thing that I don't like is not being able to use the paddles when I am operating remotely, I haven't figured that out yet.  I am working on a way to remote into WinKeyer with another Winkeyer at the control PC.  Until then, if I want to send anything other than the "canned" messages in N1MM+, I use the keyboard.

One more thing, to view the P3, I set a webcam in front of it and use its software to see the band.  I can control the P3 using macros with Win4K3suite.

Sounds pretty involved, but it's really not.

I hope that helps.
73 de JIm - KE8G

On Wed, Nov 4, 2020 at 7:41 PM Colin Smithers <colin@...> wrote:

Thanks very much Jim – I didn’t realise the Win4K3 had that capability too. You live and learn!

Could you describe your webrelay and web browser solutions a bit more please? – just enough to point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

73, Colin G4CWH