Re: K3 ANT to IF OUT Conversion Gain

ve3ki

The IF offset calculation does not depend on the SDR, it depends on the transceiver. It is particularly complicated with the K3 because the K3 actually changes the IF offset as you change the DSP filter settings, and there is an additional roofing filter offset if you use 5-pole roofing filters. K3-specific programs like NaP3 and Win4K3Suite can use CAT commands to track the IF offset, but that's rig-specific. NaP3 has a place to input fixed per-mode offsets for each radio mode for radios other than the K3. This adds user interface complexity as well as programming complexity, but allows point-and-click to work without reconfiguring the IF offset every time you change modes.

73,
Rich VE3KI

On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 02:50 PM, Drew Vonada-Smith K3PA wrote:

Ah, I missed that slide.  The switch seems simple but is the kind of manual complexity I don't want to add; I already have automation built around those RX ANT functions I would just as soon not break.  Those are more important to me than the PAN is.

The IF based solution still looks pretty good to me, especially using LPPAN. Perhaps some of that is because I use the thing generally as an signal identification monitor, without much need to point and click precisely. But the point and click does seem fine with the LP-PAN...didn't realize it was any more challenging with a SDR.  All the IF information is known, it should not be hard to design all the calculation in.  I suppose just no one has done it yet in a radio agnostic way.

Thanks for the response!

73,
Drew K3PA