Re: K3 ANT to IF OUT Conversion Gain

Robert

To Alan (N1AL):
Thank you ever so much for the info. I am waiting for a used K3 to arrive soon and I am already thinking about using my Perseus SDR as a no cost "panadapter" connected at the IF OUT connector. I believe there is no AGC in that signal path. The Perseus has more than 100dB dynamic range.

To W5AJ (name unknown) and all the other members of the group:
I thought signing with my callsign would cause confusion here or there.
Callsign: HB9BCZ (preparing for the FCC exam)
QTH: Sarasota/FL since May 2019
Licenced in HB9 since 1975

73, Robert

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 6:17 PM Al N1AL <alan@...> wrote:

On 10/12/2020 1:57 PM, Robert wrote:
> Can someone please measure the conversion gain (in dB) of an Elecraft K3 from ANT to IF OUT (with 50 Ohm load on the IF OUT port) on any or preferably allĀ  HAM bands? I can also do with data measured with KXV3A. According to the K3 schematics the is no AGS in front of the roofing filters.
> Thanks for any help.
> 73, Robert

Assuming a reasonably late-model K3 or an older one that has the IF out
modification, the gain from the K3 antenna to the IF output is
approximately -6 to -7 dB with the K3 preamp off and about +4 to +5 dB
with the preamp on.

Alan N1AL