Re: K3 for CW

Colin Smithers

I have had two of the 250 Hz filters fail open circuit. Fortunate that they are not really needed.

73, G4CWH

On 3 Oct 2020, at 21:44, K9MA via groups.io <K9ma@...> wrote:

I also have those filters, but I wouldn't recommend the 250 Hz one. It really isn't much better than the 400 Hz one, by either Elecraft's published data or my own measurements. I think for those times when a bandwidth of less than 400 Hz is required, the 400 Hz filter with the DSP set narrower would work just as well. Even with the 250 Hz filter, it's not quite as good at rejecting nearby QRM as my old FT-1000D, with two cascaded 250 Hz filters, but at least the K3 doesn't have key clicks.

73,
Scott K9MA

On 10/3/2020 1:28 PM, Thomas Doligalski via groups.io wrote:
I have both the 400 hz and the 250 hz 8 pole filters. Honestly, I rarely use the 250, and often have the bandwidth open wider than 400 hz.

Tom W4KX

On Oct 3, 2020, at 12:59 PM, SGS 126 <brloper@...> wrote:

I have recently gotten back into CW and I want to get a K3 purely for CW.  I have seen plenty of K3/100/AT for under $2000.  My code speed is between 13-18 wpm, but I am trying to get proficient so that is why I am looking at the K3 to use for code and build up my proficiency.  I presently have an Icom 7300 which I know would work fine but I like that the Elecraft uses PIN diodes for switching. Any recommendations on must-have filters?

Thanks, Ben KJ4CC

--
Scott  K9MA

k9ma@...