From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io [mailto:Elecraft-K3@groups.io] On Behalf Of Clay Autery
Sent: Monday, September 21, 2020 7:29 AM
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-K3] USB Issue K3S

Sounds like its a USB port getting close to wearing out...  USB A-B is a lot less robust than USB C ports...  IMHO

Clay Autery, KY5G
(318) 518-1389

On 09/21/20 07:23, Alan Baker wrote:

It's possible that it's not just cable length, it could just be movement of the cable and proximity to 'something' else.

I've had intermittent issues with USB disappearing and I know for sure that at least twice it happened just after I reached over the back of the K3S to check a different connector.

My 'cure' so far has been to unplug the USB connector on the back of the rig and re-plug it, whilst watching the Device Manager display on the PC it's connected to. I have an extension lead on the USB cable and unplugging it there and re-plugging has no effect. Re-booting the PC has no effect. Of course it could be that something is not quite 'seated' in the K3S, but as all other I/O works 100% reliably, I have my doubts. As I have a mess of cables behind the K3S, I suspect some form of mutual coupling, which gets disturbed when I reach over. I guess I should try some ferrites.

I'm taking chances by writing this, as it's not happened for some time, so I better watch out when I next switch on. :-D

73,

Alan. G4GNX