Re: K3 Receive Function Attenuated Immediately After Transmission

Mel Farrer, K6KBE <farrermesa@...>

Excellent Bob,

Most of the now cheap SO-239 male and female connectors have no equal to the MIL spec of old.  Some will not even screw into the same mated part!!!!

Look very carefully at the construction of the mating part.  If it is a ROLLED piece of metal, it will not be good.  CRAP.

Mel, K6KBE

On Wed, Aug 12, 2020 at 2:27 PM Bob McGraw - K4TAX <rmcgraw@...> wrote:
I have found over the years the new breed of brands of PL-259, SO-239, and others have experienced a deterioration of quality.  In some cases, I've found the machine dimensions vary all over the place.  I find many "good looking" connectors at hamfest are just pure CRAP!   At the same time, I find it necessary to snug the PL-259 sleeve a bit more than finger tight.   I use a pair of 4" Channel Lock pliers to snug and loosen connectors.  You would be surprised at the number of instances where I have corrected an RF issue with my station and more so with other stations.

Don't trust your $3000 radio or $6000 amplifier to a dang cheap PL-259 connector.    Likewise for coax jumpers.  If you frequently connect, disconnect and move them around, take the time to inspect the cable, the adapters, and the soldering of the connector.  Jumpers are another source of station problems.