Re: K3 Receive Function Attenuated Immediately After Transmission

Christopher Scibelli

Is this also happening with Amphenol connectors?  The days of $1 for a silver PL-259 are long gone.

I read about Anderson Power connectors being knocked-off.  I guess the same could happen with PL-259s.  I hope Amphenol hasn't cheapened their product to boost the bottom line.

Chris  NU1O

-----Original Message-----
To: Elecraft-K3 <Elecraft-K3@groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Aug 12, 2020 5:27 pm
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-K3] K3 Receive Function Attenuated Immediately After Transmission

I have found over the years the new breed of brands of PL-259, SO-239, and others have experienced a deterioration of quality.  In some cases, I've found the machine dimensions vary all over the place.  I find many "good looking" connectors at hamfest are just pure CRAP!   At the same time, I find it necessary to snug the PL-259 sleeve a bit more than finger tight.   I use a pair of 4" Channel Lock pliers to snug and loosen connectors.  You would be surprised at the number of instances where I have corrected an RF issue with my station and more so with other stations.  

Don't trust your $3000 radio or $6000 amplifier to a dang cheap PL-259 connector.    Likewise for coax jumpers.  If you frequently connect, disconnect and move them around, take the time to inspect the cable, the adapters, and the soldering of the connector.  Jumpers are another source of station problems. 

Bob, K4TAX

Join Elecraft-K3@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.