I had already done the gold pin replacement. The instructions said if the pins were hot and discolored to change the edge connector too. The short set of pins (the pins on the KPA3 were discolored, so I changed that edge connector. The pins on the main RF board weren't discolored, so I didn't change the longer edge connector. I thought maybe I should have, so this morning I changed the long edge connector, reassembled and checked it again. No difference.
I noticed if I set the power to about 35 watts, after a few seconds the power comes up, but oscilates a bit. I guess it's time to send Elecraft another email.