Re: Transmitter gain calibration

Mel Farrer, K6KBE <farrermesa@...>

Hello David,

As a reference on the junction of the RF transistor and the heat sink, I speak from personal manufacturing experience.  There are two issues.

First, the flatness of the mating heat sink surface.  Flatness can be measured with a micrometer or by using a straightedge and lay down a slick of heat sink compound and look for areas of white, none should be visible.

Second, is the flatness of the transistor base.  If one wishes to know if the transistor is seated properly with maximum contact with the heat sink, before soldering it down, one must put a .005 mil slick of heat grease compound on the two hole mounted transistor base plate and finger tighten the screws down, then take the screws out, remove the transistor and look at the morue pattern.  If the pattern is spectacled, that is, has a uniform pattern across the surface with lots of metal showing through, the surface tension was adequate for the test.  If areas that show white grease that is not compressed, the flatness of the base plate is a problem.  Address that problem now.  Then when final assembly is made, only go another 1/4 turn----no more.  On Stud mounted transistors, the ring around the stud must be uniform in display.

There is a manufacturing MIL spec on this, but memory fails.

I hope this helps a little.

Mel, K6KBE

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 11:19 AM David Cutter via groups.io <d.cutter=ntlworld.com@groups.io> wrote:

It's a lot easier to achieve correct and even pressure using a spring clip that presses on the body of the device, rather than one end.  Several shapes available.  I can understand the desire to use a screw that you tighten to the limit of the thread.  It's the same syndrome as turning off a tap with all your strength: it's simply unnecessary and can lead to premature failure. Sorry for the drift.

David G3UNA/G6CP

On 08 June 2020 at 15:12 Ray Maxfield <wa6vab@...> wrote:

around 0,8Nm for T0-220 …….   Let me see What range my torque wrench is Calibrated in.

I will check the Flatness of the Devices, and if needed.. File it Flat( or Lap the surface) and use Thermal compound.

Non Flat devices have been around for Years.   They were Found in Motorola Power devices

In the 70’s, I was repairing RF Amplifiers Then. ……

Ray  WA6VAB.