Re: Factory service still available?

Thomas Doligalski

I had a strike come in through the buried tv cable. Took out the cable modem, the router, the Ethernet-connected PC (in the shack), and the RS232 connection to the K3.

Currently, the shack pc connects wirelessly to the internet!

Tom W4KX

On May 8, 2020, at 9:06 AM, Bill Maddock via groups.io <n4zi96@...> wrote:

 Most lightning damage I’ve seen comes from the antennas. A good ground and lightening arrestor system is important, but I still leave my antennas disconnected. I also use APC ups and plug strips with a high choke value

73 de Bill WW5M

On Friday, May 8, 2020, 7:43 AM, John Canfield <bucket@...> wrote:

It's very possible the USB failure on my K3 IO board was due to lightning, we do get some lightning here occasionally. All of the radio and PC equipment run off a large APC pure sine wave UPS - I was hoping that would isolate my stuff from the AC mains but maybe the UPS is normally in bypass mode until loss of input AC. I wonder if an isolation transformer would be of any benefit?