Re: Factory service still available?

Michael Kopec

Well said, on all, Bob. And Yes, Elecraft provides the best factory service I have experienced in Ham Radio or any other unrelated product that I have purchased. They are one of the few. if not the only, manufacture that helps and encourages you to repair or build their equipment. Hey, stick around a bunch more years, sit back, chuckle, even laugh at times at this current state of Ham Radio. 73 de Mike K8NS.

On Wednesday, May 6, 2020, 12:42:40 PM EDT, Bob McGraw - K4TAX <rmcgraw@...> wrote:

In reading the various sites, reflectors, and discussion groups, I am
constantly amazed at the issues hams seemingly are having with their
equipment.   I sit here every day in front of my K3S, P3, KPA500, and
KAT500 along with various software applications. These applications run
on a laptop that was originally released with Windows Vista.   Today it
is running Windows 10 Pro.   I have no issues or problems running
Windows 10 Pro.    My antennas are basic wire antennas, center fed, with
either coax and a 1:1 current balun at the feed point, or center fed
with 450 ohm window line that runs from the feed point to the operating
position. There is nothing challenging or difficult or complex about my
station.  It is items which I purchased assembled from Elecraft or in
the case of antennas, those I assembled and erected myself.

My point, my system works as designed, and as expected, and does
everything I want it to do, and that's 100% of the time.  Why then do
others have the issues?  It isn't the equipment.   Perhaps they need to
look in the mirror to observe the real source of the problem.  Windows
10 Pro is a different animal, it is more challenging, it requires a
deeper understand.   The issues are not Windows 10 Pro related.    In
general today I find that hams, many have obtained their license from
the Extra Class prize out of a box of Cracker Jacks are the ones having
the problems.  I know this statement will step on toes and offend some
people.   However I find, in general, there is lack of knowledge and
understanding.

As a member of a local radio club, I was asked to assist with teaching
new prospective hams in preparation for their license exam.  I inquired
as to what I would be teaching?   The answer came back  "the test"!
HUH!!   Why not just sign the papers and give them an Extra Class
license.   Needless to say I declined the offer to teach.

For me, I started as a Novice Class operator, not an Extra Class as many
have done today.  I kept and operated my Novice station for almost a
year before becoming a General Class operator. Finally moving up to
Advanced and then Extra Class license. Personally today, I think the VEC
program is a horrible failure and done a grave injustice to the ham
radio society.

I'm glad I'm 77 years young, I have had my ham license since 1959 thus
61 years.  I'm also glad, the way things are going, I won't be around
many more years to endure the mess.  This is just one step in the
dumbing down of society in general.

From experience, the Elecraft Factory service is among the best in the
world.  They, like others, are taking precautions necessary to protect
the staff.  Smart decision.