K3 KIO3B Line In problem - no audio into K3

Edward Seeliger KD5M

Good morning all.
I have a K3 upgraded with the KIO3B and other enhancements that I want to use with a microHam device for digital modes (WSJTX, JTDX, MMTTY).

I have spent the last week or more online with Elecraft Technical Support without resolution of the problem so perhaps someone here can point me to a solution.

The title is the short version.

I want to use the microHam device, not the built in USB KIO3B sound card for digital modes.
The K3 is in Data A mode and LINE IN / LINE OUT is selected as the input / output audio sources.
I have verified that with the K3 in USB mode, the K3 KIO3B USB sound card works for LINE IN and LINE OUT and the KIO3B digital part works for CAT and PTT.
With K3 set for RS232 (38400 baud) and connected to the microHam device via a microHam cable, CAT and PTT work and LINE OUT from the K3 to the microHam device works. I have verified that there is audio from the microHam device to the K3 (I swapped the microHam cable and also listened with headphones at the Line In plug on the microHam cable from the device). But there is no ALC indication and no RF from the K3 with K3 Line Level turned all the way up and output from the microHam device turned all the way up.
As a further test, I replaced the entire KIO3B board set with a new board set with no change in behavior - no ALC indication or RF out.

Does any one have any ideas how to resolve this?
Thanks for your time and any help.
Edd - KD5M