Re: K3s driving a KPA1500 - how much drive power is nominal for 1500 watts? #kpa1500

Rob Sherwood

Yes the K3 is cleanest around 35 watts.  No I never tested it at 30 watts vs. 35 watts, etc.  I doubt you could tell the difference. Rob, NC0B

From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io [mailto:Elecraft-K3@groups.io] On Behalf Of Adrian Fewster
Sent: Sunday, February 02, 2020 8:03 AM
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-K3] K3s driving a KPA1500 - how much drive power is nominal for 1500 watts? #KPA1500

I would expect it designed that way for best IMD results and cleanest signal quality.

The K3 specs would be best at that low wattage. I use to run mine at 15v under load  for best results.

Adrian ,   vk4tux

On 3/2/20 12:53 am, John Canfield wrote:

Hey guys,

Thursday the Brown Santa (UPS) delivered my birthday present for the next ten years - a KPA1500 amp. I'm slowly learning how to use it and I'm not sure if things are acting right. Going directly into a dummy from the amp, it only takes about 28 watts drive from the K3s for a full 1500 watts output. I can reduce the drive to five watts or lower and drop the amp's output to ~150-200 watts.

Does this sound correct? Thanks for any advice.

John, WB5THT