Re: K3s 400 Hz filter differences...

Rob Sherwood

Wayne will have to answer that. Rob, NC0B

On Jan 14, 2020, at 9:45 AM, Clay Autery <KY5G@...> wrote:

Thanks for the response Mr. Sherwood!
 But I am inquiring as to why Elecraft decided to make the 6-pole 400Hz part rather than stay with the INRAD 8-pole filters?  Like the Elecraft branded "by INRAD" 8-pole 400Hz filter I bought with my K3s in 2016....  Appears to be a co-branded version of INRAD's #701.

73,

______________________
Clay Autery, KY5G
(318) 518-1389
On 01/14/20 09:15, Rob Sherwood wrote:
The reason for the 6-pole filter vs. the 5-pole filter was for much better (less) passive IMD in the roofing filter.  Some 5-pole filters limited the close-in dynamic range of the K3 to the mid 80 dB instead of better than 100 dB.  Passive IMD can occur in many components, including crystals.   My testing prompted the new filter. Rob, NC0B

On Jan 14, 2020, at 6:16 AM, Bill Maddock via Groups.Io <n4zi96@...> wrote:

 Yeah probably cost savings , doubt there’s a lot  of difference if any that you would notice. Several years ago I switched out my 200 hz filters in both my K3’s. They had the standard 5 pole filters and I upgraded to 6 pole. I couldn’t really tell difference on recieve. I compared had one 5 pole and other 6 pole and couldn’t tell difference. Probably wasted the money . I still have original 5 pole- hope to sell them one day lol

73 de Bill WW5M

On Tuesday, January 14, 2020, 6:46 AM, Clay Autery <KY5G@...> wrote:

Probably not something I will ever notice EVEN IF/WHEN I finally get set up for diversity receive... But it really bothers me that they are "different" in a fundamental way.
The curse of borderline OCD...  <wink>

73, and thanks for the response!

Clay Autery, KY5G
(318) 518-1389
On 01/14/20 06:32, Bill Maddock via Groups.Io wrote:
Clay,

As far as diversity receive, the 2 different filters should work fine. The offset on 6 pole will guaranty that both signals are on same frequency and have same tone. As far as one being  8 pole and the other 6 pole, yes the curve on the filter will be different. I doubt very seriously that it will hurt the diversity recieve.

73 Bill WW5M

Vibroplex bought INRAD, that is why it now has the Vibroplex name.