Re: K3s Remote

Jeff Wheeler W7JW

Thanks for the info about your station Jim. Working through this slowly but I’ll figure it out.

Vy 73 Jeff W7JW

From: KE8G
Sent: Thursday, December 26, 2019 9:10 PM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-K3] K3s Remote

Jeff,
Ok, I understand a little better, but I am going to make an assumption... you are using something like N1MM+?  How are you actually making the rig do anything?

Here's my set up... I have a K3s, the KAT500 & KPA500, all of which I can remotely control.  The only additional hardware I have is a WinKeyer and a WebSwitch control and a webcam.

Software wise, I use Teamviewer, Win4K3Suite, N1MM+, then the associated Elecraft software for the tuner and amp.

I log into my remote PC, then open a web browser to activate the WebSwitch.  It in turn turns on the K3s.  I then start Win4K3Suite, then N1MM+.  I have the tuner app on screen to make sure things are looking good with the antenna(s).  If I decided I want to use the amp, I start up that application.  If I am DXing, I will start up the webcam so I can see my P3.  To turn off the K3s, that is done via Win4K3suite.

I have been using this arrangement for about 4 or 5 years and things work well.  Everything at the remote site is hooked up to UPSs for the occasional electro hiccup that happens.

73 de Jim - KE8G

On Thu, Dec 26, 2019 at 8:54 PM Jeff Wheeler W7JW <jeffrey.wheelersr@...> wrote:
Jim, TeamViewer allows me to do everything I need to do, except turn the K3s on and off. Actually turning it on apparently only needs a ground to pin 8 of the ACC connector and that’s easy enough to do.  It’s properly turning it off that requires a bit more work.

The Remote control application for the KPA1500 works quite well (via USB ports for me) and if Elecraft offered a version of it to power on and off the K3s with maybe an antenna tune button like the KPA1500 app does,  I’d be all set.

The shack computer can be put on a UPS system, so power bumps and such won’t be a problem.  As long as I can remotely log into my PC, all I need to do is properly turn the K3s on and off remotely for my intended purposes.

What’s the solution short of buying WIN4K3Suite or HRD software?

Jeff W7JW