Re: Power supply adjustments

Rob Sherwood

There is no question the K3 is better at 35 watts. I can make some measurements at different power levels. Rob, NC0B

-----Original Message-----
From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io [mailto:Elecraft-K3@groups.io] On Behalf Of N6KR
Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2019 1:42 PM
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-K3] Power supply adjustments

On average, IMD will be much better at 35 W than at 100 W. And as with all class AB amps using MOSFETs, the IMD will vary per-band.

Wayne
N6KR

On Nov 7, 2019, at 12:37 PM, dalej via Groups.Io <dalej2=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

wondering what the IMD is with power set to 35 watts and the PS set to 13.8

Dale k9vuj

On 07, Nov 2019, at 13:50, Rob Sherwood <rob@...> wrote:

This morning I decided to measure a K3 in respect to third-order IMD vs. power supply voltage as read on the K3 metering. The pattern I measured was linear, the higher the voltage, the lower the third-order IMD. At really low voltages the much higher odd-order products degrade significantly. Test was on 20 meters, at a nominal 100 watts as per the K3 power setting. Two equal tones were generated within the K3. Note: at 14.8 volts on TX, the voltage on RX was 15.1 volts. At 13.8 volts on TX, the voltage on RX was 14.0. The power supply was an Astron VS-35M, and the length of PowerPole cable was 16 inches.

Voltage IMD in dBc Note: Add 6 dB for PEP method
11.5 -14.1 dBc
12.0 -16.9 dBc
12.5 -17.9 dBc
13.0 -19.0 dBc