Power supply adjustments

Bob McGraw - K4TAX

Why not get Alexa to adjust the voltage for you?   "Alexa, turn the supply on and set the voltage for 14.5."

The supplies are usually in the category of the "set and forget" type.   Thus the caution of "no user serviceable parts inside".

I adjusted one of mine this afternoon.  I put it on the desk, removed the 4 screws holding then cover, plugged in the cord and turned the supply on.   I picked up my light in one hand and my plastic adjustment tool in the other {you do have and use a plastic adjustment tool don't you?} and made the adjustment. Nowhere at any time did my hands or fingers come close to any voltage.    I did put my Fluke DMV on the output terminals first to monitor the voltage.  At 14.49 indicated,  I stopped.   Turned the supply off, put the cover on and secured it with the 4 screws.

On 11/6/2019 3:54 PM, Rick Bates, NK7I wrote:
And for some stupid reason, when they could have put that pot on the underside of the circuit board (which ends up on the top) for simpler access, they didn't.  So you're reaching in around open hot high voltage OR turning it on/off a lot of times to get it set right.  Plan B could have been to put the pot on the edge or board flush with a hole for a plastic tool to access...

I maintain that if the design engineers (of ANY field) EVER had to work on, fix, adjust their product, the design would be far different and techs would bless them instead of using 'adult language' curses...  ;-)

I hold that Elecraft 'gets' this, their designs are modular and except cable routing and some panel connecting, is boringly simple.

Rick NK7I

On 11/6/2019 10:32 AM, Rob Sherwood wrote:
The Astron power supplies I own have an internal pot to set the voltage. I would adjust it with nothing connected.  The can likely go over 16 volts. I have 3 RS-35Ms, but have never used a 50. For some reason removing the top covers are a pain.  Rob, NC0B