Re: RS-232 to USB A cable KD8DZ

Lyn Norstad

Bob –

Like you, as a teenager I scrounged whatever parts I could from any source I could find (preferably free) and built many fun projects.  When I had some money from mowing lawns and my newspaper routes, I was able to buy more purposeful gear as kits … mostly Knight Kits and later Eico and Heath Kits.

I still love building, and can still handle a soldering iron.  But arthritis and carpal tunnel syndrome have made it less pleasurable to handle very small parts, and I suspect that as our ham population ages this is a more frequent reason for buying pre-built gear.  As a result, I was perfectly happy to spend the extra $$ to buy a factory built KPA/KAT 500 combo.

What I find mildly disturbing is that so many younger hams, who may even have Extra class licenses, are not interested at all in building - and in fact are probably incapable of doing so

(I’ll overlook my other rant about Extra Class licensees who don't seem to have much of an understanding of electronics to begin with …)

OK, back to your regularly scheduled topic …

“Buy the Good Cable !!”

73

Lyn, WØLEN

From: "Steve" <99sunset@...>
Date: Sun, November 03, 2019 5:22 pm
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io

The inexpensive Chinese 6 dollar cables use the Prolific drivers which are available for download.  The better cables use FTDI.  The difficulty using the Prolific cables and drivers is that each time Microsoft updates drivers, it will replace your Prolific drivers with FTDI and your cable will fail to operate.  Save yourself the difficulty buy just using the better cable to begin with.  These are available from Elecraft or RT Systems.