From: Bob McGraw - K4TAX <rmcgraw@...>
To: Elecraft-K3 <Elecraft-K3@groups.io>ent: Sat, Nov 2, 2019 10:48 pm
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-K3] K3S to be discontinued

Any selectivity on your behalf to keep from getting rumblings you are QRMing him is most likely due to his receiver.  Or perhaps he is not correctly using the features of his receiver.   Good chances your signal is simply overloading the receiver front end and causing IMD.   Perhaps you need to share with him my writing regarding Obtaining Optimum Receiver Performance.

As to the Alpha 8410, I would be sure it is operated in its very linear range, thus make sure tuning and loading is absolutely correct as any slight mis-adjustment can cause IMD issues.   And make sure the drive applied is such that the PEP output does not exceed 1500 watts.

Again, I view the neighbors problem with QRM from your station is  the TS-890 is related to the receiver.

On 11/2/2019 9:02 PM, Christopher Scibelli via Groups.Io wrote:
Do you not notice a difference on receive between the K3 and K3S, or simply feel the difference isn't worth the money?

I ask the question because I have two hams who are very close to me.  The one on the next street over is within a 7 iron shot, but he doesn't have a beam and he mostly stays on 80 meters with a small amp., whereas I hardly use 80 meters.  The ham two streets over has a small beam on a roof tower, a KPA500 and a Kenwood TS-890.  During the 10 meter contest I usually have to get about 50 khz away from him, but I'm getting rumblings that I may be QRMing him on the whole band.  We aren't close friends so we rarely speak and he's not very active.  I use an Alpha 8410, and a 10 Element tribander atop a 55 foot US Tower.

I was hoping for some more selectivity but if it's just a dB or two, I would just keep the rig as a K3.

Thanks and 73,

NU1O