From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io <Elecraft-K3@groups.io> On Behalf Of Bob McGraw - K4TAX
Sent: Saturday, November 02, 2019 8:49 PM
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-K3] K3S to be discontinued

A K3 can be updated almost to a K3S but it will always be a K3.  The genuine K3S is only available as purchased from Elecraft.

Bob, K4TAX

On Nov 2, 2019, at 7:44 PM, Christopher Scibelli via Groups.Io <nu1oscar@...> wrote:

I bought my K3 in kit form.  I think the cost was about $3,200.  About 5 years later I added the P3 which I saw no point in building so no savings from a kit.  If I can bring this up to a K3S for a G-note I don't think that's unreasonable.  I did make about 60,000 Qs while I've had the K3 and I made Honor Roll so adding $1,000 after a decade of very heavy use isn't unreasonable in my humble opinion.  Hopefully, I get another decade of use from the rig.  If it lasts that long it probably will be time to buy a new State of the Art rig. Plus, I rather put the money into more antennas.

I'll call Elecraft on Monday to get a new RA (I can't find mine any longer and it may have expired after 6 months) and see what options I need to have installed to bring this up to as close to a new K3S as possible.  I love the rig and see no point in buying a K4.  BTW, I hit the big 60 in August.

Harry, K7ZOV, if I weren't having all these mods done I'd try Deoxit and the like.  Thanks for the tip!

73,

Chris  NU1O