Re: Power Outage Behavior

Bob McGraw - K4TAX

The UPS of 1000 watts should be able to handle the station during receive.  I wouldn't plan to hold the system up during transmit.   A Tripp-Lite 1500 VA UPS is $168 as found on Amazon.   An APC sine wave UPS rated for 1350 VA is available for $179.

Seems reasonable to me to resolve the issue.

On 10/4/2019 8:57 AM, Lyn Norstad wrote:

Bob –

Unfortunately it would take a very large UPS to run the KPA500 (1000 va) on transmit along with everything else.

73,

Lyn, WØLEN

From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io [mailto:Elecraft-K3@groups.io] On Behalf Of Bob McGraw - K4TAX
Sent: Thursday, October 03, 2019 12:55 PM
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-K3] Power Outage Behavior

Sure, why not have the KPA500 on the UPS just as the other part of the station.  During receive the power demand is quite low.   Problem resolved.

On 10/3/2019 12:32 PM, Lyn Norstad wrote:

We have a 20 kw whole house standby generator, and in addition I have everything in the shack running on a UPS (except the KPA500) in order to keep computers, etc., running for the 10-15 seconds it takes for the generator to kick in when an outage occurs.

The KPA500 goes off, of course, but does not automatically come back on when power is restored.  It seems like it might be advantageous for it to resume operation in Standby mode in order to resume cooling, if it was operating when the power went out.

Any thoughts?