Your K3 with an option can calibrate the internal clock, but it doesn’t phase lock. However at HF it likely doesn’t matter.  I don’t lock any of my HF rigs at this time.
I was responding to another post.  Sorry if it was not appropriate.

Rob, NC0B

On May 4, 2019, at 12:38 PM, Alan Baker <g4gnx@...> wrote:

Firstly, why are we discussing a new Icom radio on an Elecraft reflector, when there is no Elecraft comparison radio or competition for the Icom radio?

Secondly, when mentioning frequency drift on the IC-9700, why is it not being mentioned that the rig is not out of spec?

73,

Alan. G4GNX

From: Rob Sherwood
Sent: Saturday, May 4, 2019 6:11 PM
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-K3] SDR

There are drift issues with the IC-9700, particularly with narrow-band digital modes.  There is some drift on SSB, less on 2m, more on 70cm and a lot more on 23cm.  At least at present the IC-9700 cannot be locked to an external 10 MHz standard like many other Icom HF radios.  Do I have a need to lock my IC-7610 or TS-890S to my GPSDO?  No, but I certainly would like to lock my IC-9700 to my GPSDO or Rubidium oscillators.  Icom really dropped the ball for in that respect in the IC-9700.  A ham is Australia has a prototype board that allows the 9700 to lock to an external 10 MHz standard.  Whether it will ever be an aftermarket product is unknown at this time.

I won’t be able to test the FTdx-101D until late next week, but its architecture is very similar to the TS-890S which performs quite well.  Those two radios both sell for $4000 or less, and who knows what bargains will show up at Dayton/Xenia.  It will be interesting to see how all the DSP features (NB, NR, auto-notch) of the new Yaesu perform.  The TS-890S waterfall is fantastic, but its NR and NB are not so wonderful.

I was on the air this morning on a 144.2 MHz SSB net, and the IC-9700 is a very nice  upgrade over my 25 year old IC-275H.

Rob, NC0B