moderated Re: How can I remote my own K3s?

Wes

Wow, where to begin.  Of course you don't understand the personal ethics of some of us.  That's okay, they are personal, some of us have them some of us don't.

In what follows, I'm speaking as a DXer, contests make my eyes glaze over.

In my case, my stations were constructed and operated by me.  During much of my 60 year ham career, a lot, or in the case of 2-meter EME all, of my equipment was designed and built by me.  All of my DXCC contacts have been made from locations within a ten mile radius in Tucson.  For more on this my bio on QRZ expands and I won't elaborate here.

So, my accomplishments are mine, and that's the way I want it.  Sure, I have friends who were off the air for various reasons, and used another's station, or worse had the other guy work the DX for them, so they maintained their lofty perch on the top of the "Honor" Roll.  I had one local ask me on the air to call him on the telephone once.  He them reported that "I" had worked such-and-such DXpedition on a particular band and time.  He worked them using my call and thought that I would be pleased.  I read him the riot act and of course did not claim the QSO.  Others did, however.  Got to stay on top doncha ya know,

I certainly have no beef with fellows who build huge multi-op stations, they are tremendous technical achievements. That said, I doubt (or hope) that those guest ops aren't claiming credits toward their own stats.  If they are---well---see comments on ethics above.

Wes  N7WS

On 12/16/2018 8:39 PM, Jeff Clarke wrote:

I guess I really don't understand your guys problem with this?

People guest operating from someones big gun station in contests has been happening for years. Many of the elite operators, who are usually younger, don't have the funds to build a big station. Usually you need to have a relationship with the owner to be able to operate their station. With the remote radio sites that are out there like RemoteHamRadio.com and BeLoud.Us you no longer need to have have that relationship with the owner to be able to operate a big gun station. You just need put out the cash to do it.  Some will say that's not fair that someone can pay to do this.  My logic on this subject is contesting and DXing isn't fair to begin with. Some people can spend ten of thousands of dollars or more the build the best station money can buy and others can't. So why would it make a difference if you are at a station in person or renting a station to operate remotely thru the internet?  You are saving a lot of money and labor to maintain a station by renting one of these remote stations if you have the means to do it.

Sorry to break the news to you but this is the future of contesting if you want to be competitive and be considered to be an "elite" contester. If not then just do contesting for fun with what you have.

Happy Holidays , Jeff KU8E

On 12/16/2018 08:34 PM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX wrote:
I wholeheartedly agree!

Radios, antennas, and me at my QTH .   I hear them, I work them. No 'rent a station' for me.
I agree "rent a station" contacts should not qualify for anything except ones ego.

On Dec 16, 2018, at 7:28 PM, James Blanca <ke8g.jim@...> wrote:

Nope, I wouldn’t even consider trying something like that...to me it is 100% against everything I believe amateur radio to be!  I remotely operate the station I built, the antennas I assembled, the auxiliary equipment I assembled.  It’s mine, no one else’s!

If you can’t hear a station transmitting at your QTH, switch to a “rent a station “ and make the QSO.  IMHO, that is cheating!

73 de Jim - KE8G

On Sun, Dec 16, 2018 at 5:54 PM Bill KO7SS via Groups.Io <ko7ss=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I don't know where you live, no call sign in the posting, but RemoteHamRadio.com has direct connectivity from your K3/0 Mini or K3S to their
K3's located on the East Coast, with big antennas and big amps. No extra software or hardware. Their proprietary software is amazing. Pricing
is per minute of use, Discounts for contest periods.

73, Bill KO7SS
--
Jeff Clarke
Information Technology Professional