Re: Looking to upgrade

Marsh <marsh308@...>

I'm not trying to convince you to pick either the K3S or the ICOM 7610. I'm just pointing out some Rob Sherwood test results if you're not already aware of them

You might want to check out http://www.sherweng.com/table.html

Yes, the K3S does have better Dynamic Range Narrow Spaced (2kHz)

Either one you pick will be a great transceiver.

73,
Marsh, KA5M   Spaced
(d
Range
Narrow Spaced
(dB)

On ‎Monday‎, ‎August‎ ‎27‎, ‎2018‎ ‎07‎:‎10‎:‎58‎ ‎PM‎ ‎CDT, HB <hbjr@...> wrote:

Gentlemen...
This is my first post to the group.  I am considering buying a new HF rig.

My operating position consists primarily of an Icom IC-7600.  I have used it for several years and really like the user interface.  BUT, its performance in the presence of strong signals - especially adjacent signals is poor in my opinion.

I saw (and heard) a demonstration of a K3s in a very strong adjacent signal environment and the adjacent signal was completely rejected - no interference at all.  I am seriously considering replacing my 7600 with a K3s (like buying American too!) but am overwhelmed at the number of options available.

I have enjoyed just about any operating style and radio configuration available (except having a "real" dual receive) with the 7600.  My other accessories that I will use with a new radio include: AL-1200 amplifier, PK-232sc+ (soundcard, HF packet, FSK RTTY, and a little PACTOR), PC running DXLabs, and a Heil Proset.  I operate primarily SSB with some digital.  With digital, I send a fair amount of RTTY (really like the sound of FSK RTTY with the PK-232sc+).  I'm trying to get back into CW - never learned much past 5WPM and I struggle with that today.  I also do a little 2m SSB, but my old Drake 2m SSB rig (running a Henry 2m amplifier) lacks some function and I would like to add that to a station rig.  I use a couple of beverage antennas for listening and a dipole and a few beams for transmitting.  I don't want to go backwards or have to give up any flexibility.  The newer 7610 seemed like the next rig for me, but the strong signal issue remains.  I have never really looked at a K3 - seemed liked an expensive little box with not very many bells and whistles, but after hearing one, I may be wrong.

Convince me to switch!!

Hank
K4HYJ