Re: 6M Es antenna question

Rob Sherwood

A turnstile is what WWV is using on 25 MHz.  Rob, NC0B

On Jul 14, 2018, at 1:45 PM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX <rmcgraw@...> wrote:

A pair of crossed folded dipoles fed together with a 4:1 balun makes for an omni directional pattern and horizontal  polarization.  Commonly known as a turnstile antenna.

A turnstile antenna, or crossed-dipole antenna,is a radio antenna consisting of a set of two identical dipole or folded dipole antennas mounted at right angles to each other and fed in phase quadrature; the two currents applied to the dipoles are 90° out of phase.  The name reflects the notion the antenna looks like a turnstile when mounted horizontally. The antenna can be used in two possible modes.   In normal mode the antenna radiates horizontally polarized radio waves perpendicular to its axis. In axial mode the antenna radiates circularly polarized radiation along its axis.

On 7/14/2018 1:20 PM, Charlie T, k3ICH wrote:
In that case, you might try a 5/8 wavelength vertical, or maybe even a co-linear,  vertical stacked array.
It would be omni-directinal, but would offer some gain.

73, Charlie k3ICH
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, July 14, 2018 9:31 AM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-K3] 6M Es antenna question

I agree Charlie that a 3 element beam would be better but all of my antennas are in the trees in a very dense HOA neighborhood.  A dipole works pretty well oriented broadside 20 degrees/ 200 degrees.

While the second phased dipole is mechanically a pain the real question was about the angle that Es stuff favors.

73 - Mike - K9JRI

On Jul 14, 2018, at 9:07 AM, Charlie T, k3ICH <pincon@...> wrote:

Personally, for the little extra a second diploe would add, I don't feel it would be worth the effort.

For the effort to add another dipole with the supports, feed line etc.,  you may be better off using a small 3 or 4 element Yagi if you can.  Depending on your location, you may not even have to rotate it, since you'll have about a 90 degree horizontal beam width, and this will net you around +6dB of forward gain.

73, Charlie k3ICH