Re: 6M Es antenna question

Rick Bates, NK7I

With a recent opening, I ran a test using PSKReporter as the data source.

I have a 6M halo (square shaped half wave dipole, folded back on itself, configured horizontally), the 6M J pole and the 160M inverted L antenna (native match ~3.4:1, used a tuner).  Essentially all are omni configured.  That's as level a playing field as I managed.

I sent out some CQ on FT8 (100 watts), noted where I was heard.

Halo, not bad, a few over a dozen hits.
J Pole, better, double the numbers
Inverted L was the best of the three , about 30 hits (likely due to gain from length AND both vertical and horizontal factors); BUT some of the original hit spots didn't hear me...  I'll put that off to a cloud shift, it's not consistent at my latitude (Idaho, almost Canada).

I was a paid fire line captain once upon a time.  I learned: every time you make a choice, you eliminate options.  Having options (even under HOA oppression) is always a better plan.  Having options kept one alive.

The point is, play around.  No two days on E are the same, you don't always know where the cloud is... be flexible.

Rick nhc

On 7/14/2018 1:06 PM, Michael Blake via Groups.Io wrote:
Thanks Rick.  I have not tried or considered any vertical antennas as my understanding is that there is very little polarity shift via Es and that most of the signals start out as horizontally polarized signals.  Random polarity on F layer propagation but not so on E layer propagation.  It is also my understanding the Es signals come in at a very low angle which was the key factor in looking at the stacked dipoles.

My understanding might be all wet though which might make a vertical a good choice.

73 - Mike - K9JRI

On Jul 14, 2018, at 3:57 PM, Rick WA6NHC <wa6nhc@...> wrote:

Or a J Pole (if you can avoid proximity to it, they're a mite picky and require a coax balun at the antenna feed).

With the cost of copper, price is variable but use 3/4" not half inch.  It's much more stable in winds.

Rick nhc

On 7/14/2018 11:20 AM, Charlie T, k3ICH wrote:
In that case, you might try a 5/8 wavelength vertical, or maybe even a co-linear,  vertical stacked array.
It would be omni-directinal, but would offer some gain.

73, Charlie k3ICH