Re: 6M Es antenna question

Rick Bates, NK7I

With a recent opening, I ran a test using PSKReporter as the data source.

I have a 6M halo (square shaped half wave dipole, folded back on itself, configured horizontally), the 6M J pole and the 160M inverted L antenna (native match ~3.4:1, used a tuner).  Essentially all are omni configured.  That's as level a playing field as I managed.

I sent out some CQ on FT8 (100 watts), noted where I was heard.

Halo, not bad, a few over a dozen hits.
J Pole, better, double the numbers
Inverted L was the best of the three , about 30 hits (likely due to gain from length AND both vertical and horizontal factors); BUT some of the original hit spots didn't hear me...  I'll put that off to a cloud shift, it's not consistent at my latitude (Idaho, almost Canada).

I was a paid fire line captain once upon a time.  I learned: every time you make a choice, you eliminate options.  Having options (even under HOA oppression) is always a better plan.  Having options kept one alive.

The point is, play around.  No two days on E are the same, you don't always know where the cloud is... be flexible.

Rick nhc

On 7/14/2018 1:06 PM, Michael Blake via Groups.Io wrote:
Thanks Rick.  I have not tried or considered any vertical antennas as my understanding is that there is very little polarity shift via Es and that most of the signals start out as horizontally polarized signals.  Random polarity on F layer propagation but not so on E layer propagation.  It is also my understanding the Es signals come in at a very low angle which was the key factor in looking at the stacked dipoles.

My understanding might be all wet though which might make a vertical a good choice.

73 - Mike - K9JRI

On Jul 14, 2018, at 3:57 PM, Rick WA6NHC <wa6nhc@...> wrote:

Or a J Pole (if you can avoid proximity to it, they're a mite picky and require a coax balun at the antenna feed).

With the cost of copper, price is variable but use 3/4" not half inch.  It's much more stable in winds.

Rick nhc

On 7/14/2018 11:20 AM, Charlie T, k3ICH wrote:
In that case, you might try a 5/8 wavelength vertical, or maybe even a co-linear,  vertical stacked array.
It would be omni-directinal, but would offer some gain.

73, Charlie k3ICH
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, July 14, 2018 9:31 AM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-K3] 6M Es antenna question

I agree Charlie that a 3 element beam would be better but all of my antennas are in the trees in a very dense HOA neighborhood.  A dipole works pretty well oriented broadside 20 degrees/ 200 degrees.  

While the second phased dipole is mechanically a pain the real question was about the angle that Es stuff favors.

73 - Mike - K9JRI

On Jul 14, 2018, at 9:07 AM, Charlie T, k3ICH <pincon@...> wrote:

Personally, for the little extra a second diploe would add, I don't feel it would be worth the effort.

For the effort to add another dipole with the supports, feed line etc.,  you may be better off using a small 3 or 4 element Yagi if you can.  Depending on your location, you may not even have to rotate it, since you'll have about a 90 degree horizontal beam width, and this will net you around +6dB of forward gain.

73, Charlie k3ICH
----- Original Message ----- 
Sent: Saturday, July 14, 2018 8:34 AM
Subject: [Elecraft-K3] 6M Es antenna question

Having a ton of fun working FT8 via Es on 50.313 with both my K3s and my KX3. My antenna is a simple dipole at about 30 feet elevation.

My question regards the angle that Es signals arrive.  If I stacked another dipole at 12 feet lower the angle of maximum gain lowers significantly.  Is the preferred angle of arrival/departure on an Es signal completely random depending on the distance from the E cloud or would the stacked dipoles (Lazy H) always be better?

Very 73 - Mike - K9JRI

Join Elecraft-K3@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.