Thanks Rick.  I have not tried or considered any vertical antennas as my understanding is that there is very little polarity shift via Es and that most of the signals start out as horizontally polarized signals.  Random polarity on F layer propagation but not so on E layer propagation.  It is also my understanding the Es signals come in at a very low angle which was the key factor in looking at the stacked dipoles.

My understanding might be all wet though which might make a vertical a good choice.

73 - Mike - K9JRI

On Jul 14, 2018, at 3:57 PM, Rick WA6NHC <wa6nhc@...> wrote:

Or a J Pole (if you can avoid proximity to it, they're a mite picky and require a coax balun at the antenna feed).

With the cost of copper, price is variable but use 3/4" not half inch.  It's much more stable in winds.

Rick nhc

On 7/14/2018 11:20 AM, Charlie T, k3ICH wrote:
In that case, you might try a 5/8 wavelength vertical, or maybe even a co-linear,  vertical stacked array.
It would be omni-directinal, but would offer some gain.

73, Charlie k3ICH
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, July 14, 2018 9:31 AM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-K3] 6M Es antenna question

I agree Charlie that a 3 element beam would be better but all of my antennas are in the trees in a very dense HOA neighborhood.  A dipole works pretty well oriented broadside 20 degrees/ 200 degrees.

While the second phased dipole is mechanically a pain the real question was about the angle that Es stuff favors.

73 - Mike - K9JRI

On Jul 14, 2018, at 9:07 AM, Charlie T, k3ICH <pincon@...> wrote:

Personally, for the little extra a second diploe would add, I don't feel it would be worth the effort.

For the effort to add another dipole with the supports, feed line etc.,  you may be better off using a small 3 or 4 element Yagi if you can.  Depending on your location, you may not even have to rotate it, since you'll have about a 90 degree horizontal beam width, and this will net you around +6dB of forward gain.

73, Charlie k3ICH