Re: 6M Es antenna question

Charlie T, k3ICH

In that case, you might try a 5/8 wavelength vertical, or maybe even a co-linear,  vertical stacked array.
It would be omni-directinal, but would offer some gain.

73, Charlie k3ICH

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, July 14, 2018 9:31 AM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-K3] 6M Es antenna question

I agree Charlie that a 3 element beam would be better but all of my antennas are in the trees in a very dense HOA neighborhood.  A dipole works pretty well oriented broadside 20 degrees/ 200 degrees.  

While the second phased dipole is mechanically a pain the real question was about the angle that Es stuff favors.

73 - Mike - K9JRI

On Jul 14, 2018, at 9:07 AM, Charlie T, k3ICH <pincon@...> wrote:

Personally, for the little extra a second diploe would add, I don't feel it would be worth the effort.

For the effort to add another dipole with the supports, feed line etc.,  you may be better off using a small 3 or 4 element Yagi if you can.  Depending on your location, you may not even have to rotate it, since you'll have about a 90 degree horizontal beam width, and this will net you around +6dB of forward gain.

73, Charlie k3ICH
----- Original Message ----- 
Sent: Saturday, July 14, 2018 8:34 AM
Subject: [Elecraft-K3] 6M Es antenna question

Having a ton of fun working FT8 via Es on 50.313 with both my K3s and my KX3. My antenna is a simple dipole at about 30 feet elevation.

My question regards the angle that Es signals arrive.  If I stacked another dipole at 12 feet lower the angle of maximum gain lowers significantly.  Is the preferred angle of arrival/departure on an Es signal completely random depending on the distance from the E cloud or would the stacked dipoles (Lazy H) always be better?

Very 73 - Mike - K9JRI

Join Elecraft-K3@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.