Re: 6M Es antenna question

Michael Blake <k9jri@...>

Thanks for the ARRL reference Mike.  I will get that document and see what I can learn.  From what I had read it seemed that being able to switch between higher/lower/both might be beneficial.

Very 73 - Mike - K9JRI

On Jul 14, 2018, at 11:05 AM, Michael Kopec via Groups.Io <michaelkopec1@...> wrote:

It varies with the E-cloud. See ARRL " Beyond the Line of Sight" publication.  re: pg 41.  It seams to me both a single dipole and stacked elements would both be beneficial depending on the cloud.  Switching between the two would tell the story. de K8NS

On Saturday, July 14, 2018, 8:39:44 AM EDT, Michael Blake via Groups.Io <k9jri@...> wrote:

Having a ton of fun working FT8 via Es on 50.313 with both my K3s and my KX3. My antenna is a simple dipole at about 30 feet elevation.

My question regards the angle that Es signals arrive.  If I stacked another dipole at 12 feet lower the angle of maximum gain lowers significantly.  Is the preferred angle of arrival/departure on an Es signal completely random depending on the distance from the E cloud or would the stacked dipoles (Lazy H) always be better?

Very 73 - Mike - K9JRI