Re: 6M Es antenna question

Michael Blake <k9jri@...>

Thanks Everette, the Hentenna is an interesting design.  I will take a peek at it.

73 - Mike - K9JRI

On Jul 14, 2018, at 9:05 AM, Everett Sharp via Groups.Io <everettsharp@...> wrote:

Hi Mike,

I am using a Hentenna, you can find it on the web. My Hentenna, is only about 30' high at the top and it is way better than a dopole. I have also been experimenting with a 6 meter collinear array, which looks better than the Hentenna. Here is the link to the collinear http://www.ve1zac.com/6m%20array.htm. The array is difficult to tune and the dimensions he uses do not work. To find the correct length for the dipole and the other elements, I first made up a dipole and adjusted it until I found the correct length to reach the desired frequency, then I made the other 3 elements the same length. Also the length he uses for the phasing stubs is not correct. I was able to cut/tune mine using my MFJ259B.

I did not set it up as OCF as he did, but instead cut the fed element in the middle and used a 4:1 balun.

With the two antennas, I have looked 48 states and 17 countries. A beam would , by far, be the best way to go, however, I am in a HOA and have to everything with wires in the trees.

Everett N4CY

In a message dated 7/14/2018 7:39:44 AM Central Standard Time, k9jri@... writes:

Having a ton of fun working FT8 via Es on 50.313 with both my K3s and my KX3. My antenna is a simple dipole at about 30 feet elevation.

My question regards the angle that Es signals arrive.  If I stacked another dipole at 12 feet lower the angle of maximum gain lowers significantly.  Is the preferred angle of arrival/departure on an Es signal completely random depending on the distance from the E cloud or would the stacked dipoles (Lazy H) always be better?

Very 73 - Mike - K9JRI