Re: 6M Es antenna question

Rob Sherwood

Directivity is always your friend, often even more so than gain.  A yagi with a clean pattern reduces noise, QRM and QRN.  A 4 or 5 element yagi on 6m would be much more useful than stacking and phasing two dipoles.   On HF the same is true, and I am very lucky to have 5 elements on 10, 15 and 4 elements on 20m.  Rob, NC0B

From: Elecraft-K3@groups.io [mailto:Elecraft-K3@groups.io] On Behalf Of Charlie T, k3ICH
Sent: Saturday, July 14, 2018 7:07 AM
To: Elecraft-K3@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Elecraft-K3] 6M Es antenna question

Personally, for the little extra a second diploe would add, I don't feel it would be worth the effort.

For the effort to add another dipole with the supports, feed line etc.,  you may be better off using a small 3 or 4 element Yagi if you can.  Depending on your location, you may not even have to rotate it, since you'll have about a 90 degree horizontal beam width, and this will net you around +6dB of forward gain.

73, Charlie k3ICH

----- Original Message -----

To: Groups IO

Sent: Saturday, July 14, 2018 8:34 AM

Subject: [Elecraft-K3] 6M Es antenna question

Having a ton of fun working FT8 via Es on 50.313 with both my K3s and my KX3. My antenna is a simple dipole at about 30 feet elevation .

My question regards the angle that Es signals arrive.  If I stacked another dipole at 12 feet lower the angle of maximum gain lowers significantly.  Is the preferred angle of arrival/departure on an Es signal completely random depending on the distance from the E cloud or would the stacked dipoles (Lazy H) always be better?

Very 73 - Mike - K9JRI

If this email is spam, report it to www.OnlyMyEmail.com

Join Elecraft-K3@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.