Re: K3

Larry

I actually have 3 different ones.  One is a Motorola Bench type rated at
300W, a 2nd is an ex-miltary unit rated at KW+ and a 3rd is a Heathkit
Cantenna. All three provide similar results, using any one of them still
does not allow the radio to complete the 5W calibration procedure.
Something apparently has happened inside the radio.

Larry

W0OGH

On 7/6/2018 4:46 PM, Mike Flowers wrote:
What are you using for a dummy load.

A known good unit? Pure resistive load?

I’ve seen some flaky results with questionable dummy loads.

Just something to check.

-- Mike Flowers, K6MKF, NCDXC - "It's about DX!"

On Jul 6, 2018, at 4:40 PM, Larry <telegrapher@q.com> wrote:

I ran the 5 watt RF gain calibration test this morning from the K3
Utility. It failed! So i clicked on "Next" and ran the 50W calibration
test. I had not done this test before so didn't really know what to
expect. Well the 50W calibration level failed also, DUH!

Any suggestions before i call for an RMA? I can get 100W out on CW most
all bands, 80 W out on a couple others. However using FT8 the RF power
fluctuates to some extent, maybe 5 W or so on the HF bands but is really
stable on 6M using SSb mode though as the Data mode is worse and i can't
seem to tame it down. I am suspecting that getting the transmitter
"tuned up", whatever that may entail will correct the situation. Not
having a peak reading wattmeter it's hard to tell exactly, with the
instrument i have, what is happening on SSb although i worked the
KH1/KH7Z station on 20 and 15 SSb so it must be working to some extent.

Larry

W0OGH