Re: [Elecraft_K3] Now accepting orders for the Elecraft KPA1500 amplifier

Hi Mark,

msgerber@... [Elecraft_K3] <Elecraft_K3@...> wrote:

The KPA1500 price at $5995 is "introductory" which implies a potential for a price increase. I suspect it will be based on supply/demand. Can you comment further?
We’ll keep the introductory price in effect as long as possible. That’s all I can say at present.

I read there are plans to offer the KPA1500 in kit form. I suspect the price differential between factory-assembled and the kit will be ~$200+ (maybe more as the KPA1500 is more complex and has a higher overall selling price) which is the difference between the factory-assembled and kit versions of the KPA500. Can you comment on this as well?
It would probably be in this ballpark. When we have more information I’ll post to the list.

Lastly, can you provide detail on the low-pass filtering design in the KPA1500. While I am sure the amp meets FCC specs, I am curious as to how Elecraft has elected to deal with the known large odd harmonic spurs from the LDMOS that would typically be reflected back into the device.
Our low-pass filtering is more than sufficient to meet FCC approval. Filter order varies a bit depending on the band. We’ve done extensive testing, both electrical and thermal, and I’ve seen no evidence of unusual odd-harmonic behavior. Seems rather tame, actually.

73,
Wayne
N6KR