Re: [Elecraft_K3] K3S - KTC03-1 Frequency Stability

Hi Jim,

Typically the 1 ppm TCXO is +/- 0.5 ppm after warmup, which would be +/- 25 Hz (approx) on 6 meters. So you very well may have a substandard unit. If you decide you’d like to replace it, let us know.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

On Jun 14, 2017, at 10:11 AM, 'Jim - N4ST' newsgroup@jimpricejr.com [Elecraft_K3] <Elecraft_K3@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Thanks Wayne, but I’ve had this K3S for over a year and a half and never noticed the problem until I started working 6M MSK144.
I couldn’t understand why I could hear the meteor scatter pings, but wouldn’t decode. The max freq tolerance for MSK144 is 200 Hz.
When I figured out I was off frequency, I did a REF CAL adjustment and was dead on.
Then I noticed that from day-to-day I could be 50Hz-70Hz off, even for a warmed up rig.
I went through setting the REF CAL several different times, using different techniques and all seemed to work, but within a few days I would be off frequency again, by 50 Hz or so.
Now I just monitor for a few MSK144 pings and see where the majority are transmitting and offset my TX frequency by the appropriate amount and I’m good to go.
Especially easy now during e-skip when the signals are readily available.

73,
Jim – N4ST