From: Mike Streeter
To: "k3support@..."
Sent: Monday, December 26, 2016 10:07 AM
Subject: Fw: K3 MCU problem.

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Mike Streeter

Sent: Monday, December 26, 2016 9:31 AM
Subject: K3 MCU problem.

Hope you all had a great Christmas.

I have been using my K3 for a long time with no problems but now do have one.
A couple of weeks ago I worked the OK RTTY contest 40 meter single band. The radio, S/N 684 worked faultlessly. It was connected to the KAT tuner, KPA amp, P3 with SVGA monitor and Navigator interface.
Yesterday I wanted to use it on 40 meters and it was showing a high SWR and would not key the amp. Only on 40 meters, other bands were OK. That made me suspect the 40m antenna was giving a problem so I used my backup radio to check the antenna and cables and all was good. With reference to the Manual and Fred Cadys book I checked everything in the config menu, no obvious problems.

So then I then disconnected everything except the power cable from the back of the K3 so it is completely stand alone, connected the KUSB cable and PC, both of which I have used previously to check the firmware, and found that in the firmware tab, under firmware revisions it showed:

Installed in K3         Available

MCU    ??.??               05.50
FPF     ??.??               01.25
DSP1  ??.??               02.87
DSP2  ??.??               02.87
DVR    ??.??

Activity Log:

20:03:50 Elecraft K3 Utility Revision 1.15.6.29
20:03:50 OS Version 6.0 Build 6002 Windows Vista
20:03:50 Serial Port is closed
20:03:50 Serial port Com 10 is open.
20:03:51 Attempting to contact K3 on port COM4 at 38400 bit/s
20:03:51 K3 waiting for firmware load. RS-232 speed 38400 bit/s.ed in the K3".

I then check "Send all firmware to the K3" with the K3 turned on and the following window comes up:

Elecraft K3 Utility Revision 1.15.6.29
OS Version 6.0 Build 6002 Windows Vista
K3 MCU Revision ??.?? . RS 232 speed 38400 bit/s.
Sending firmware file C:\Users \WM5DX\AppData\Roaming\Elecraft\K3 Firmware\ hmcu0550.hex to MCU
Error code 0xE2000048: No response to poll while synchronizing to buffer boundary
MCU verification failed. Reload MCU.
Click "close" to close this window.

The Activity Log then shows that the serial port Com10 is open and the K3 is waiting for firmware load.

I therefore try to reload the MCU following exactly the instructions in the Utility Program help file, with the K3 still being disconnected from everything except the power cable, and after rebooting the PC. The K3 power is shut off for several minutes.  Everything happens exactly as the help file shows but when I get to "Send all new firmware to K3" and click on it I get the "Sending MCU Firmware" window which shows  the exact same messages and error code as above.

I'm sorry to take so long to explain but I really do need your help to resolve this.

73, de Mike, WM5DX.