Re: [Elecraft_K3] RE: CW R

Jerry

Well thought out reasoning Don.

Sent: Friday, December 02, 2016 8:51 AM
To: Elecraft_K3@...
Subject: Re: [Elecraft_K3] RE: CW R

Very interesting.  I grew up using older Icom gear (751a, 761, 781) and don't remember them having CWR switch.   Probably came along in the next generation of equipment.   I now run K3s.   At 70, my wife says I am not only tone deaf, I am really deaf and should get some aid.    I fear doing that would increase my honey do list.

Don

WB6BEE

-----Original Message-----
From: 'Jim - WS6X' ws6x.ars@... [Elecraft_K3] <Elecraft_K3@...>
To: Elecraft_K3 <Elecraft_K3@...>
Sent: Fri, Dec 2, 2016 6:34 am
Subject: [Elecraft_K3] RE: CW R

I can’t speak for Lee, but I can tell you why I always use CWR. When the K3 came to market my ears and brain had been trained by 40+ years of Yaesu and Kenwood radios which default to the upper sideband for sidetone monitoring. Thus my brain wanted to hear a descending pitch with increasing frequency. Since Icom radios default to lower sideband, it drove me batty every time I used one. Thankfully, Icom radios have a CWR switch.

As one of the early K3 field testers, I gave Wayne a fair share of grief about the K3 defaulting to lower sideband. He didn’t buy it!!

Being a musician with near-perfect pitch and pitch-differentiation to less than 1 Hz on a good day, it is not easy to retrain my brain. (Being 71 years old probably doesn’t help either!) On the other hand, I have several crack CW operator buddies who are nearly tone deaf. CW / CWR doesn’t bother them one way to or the other.

Jim, WS6X  

Re: CW REV

Thu Dec 1, 2016 6:57 pm (PST) . Posted by:

wb6bee

Lee

Out of curiosity, why do you use CWR versus CW normally?

Don
WB6BEE

-----Original Message-----
From: Lee Sawkins ve7cc@... [Elecraft_K3] <Elecraft_K3@...>
To: elecraft_k3 <elecraft_k3@...>
Sent: Thu, Dec 1, 2016 3:51 am
Subject: [Elecraft_K3] CW REV

I always use CW REV when I operate my K3. I am using a friends K3. CW REV does not work at all with it, neither Rx nor Tx. Norm al CW works fine. Any ideas what could be wrong with it?

Lee VE7CC

Join Elecraft-K3@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.