Re: [Elecraft_K3] Re: k3dspupgrd

David Kowalewski <djkowalewski@...>

Hi Bruce,
 Thanks for the reply, I seen one review of this mod from the Nabble site, they said the audio quality was deeper and warmer sounding, wonder if you experienced the same, noise levels here are on the low side, I operate CW, no contesting, I do like a good sounding audio, I heard a Drake receiver one time and that was like music to your ears! I just hate to spend the $ on something if it really doesn’t have much benefit. So I guess I’m still on the fence.

 73’s
WA2OXZ
Dave

On Aug 16, 2016, at 1:43 PM, brucemacb@... [Elecraft_K3] wrote:

Good afternoon Harley

I have both an older K3 (serial number 670) and a new K3S so I've had the chance to compare both in an Urban environment and a Countryside one. The only mods I've done on the K3 is upgrade of the main DSP board.

In my Urban environment, I honestly did not notice any difference between the RX performance of either radio. I have high electrical noise levels and on 80M that runs at about S8.

In my Countryside environment then I did notice a significant difference.
The 80M noise level is S2 (as a comparison) and the K3S was significantly better at resolving weak signals (I'm a QRP operator so this is important to me) The K3S also sounded 'cleaner' when listening on headphones.

In both cases I operated CW, SSB and DATA contests.

I know that's a bit of a rough and ready comparison, but my one line summary would be:
  • Low background noise environment -- upgrade.
  • High background noise environment, save your money.
73 Bruce G4ABX