Thanks, Fred.  Looks like I'll have to call Elecraft.  I've already tried your suggestion on changing ports with no success.  Windows 10 OS.  I also tried to connect at 38K, despite the error message, but no results with that as well.  I've been in contact with Elecraft support via email, and despite some suggestions to change things on the W1 itself that didn't do any good.  I'll have to give them a call.

73,

Mike, W3QT

On 5/5/2016 4:37 PM, 'Fred Townsend' fptownsend@... [Elecraft_K3] wrote:

Ok that was helpful. I smell a windozs rat. Older Windows has been known to dedicate a serial port to one application and not allow other connections to that port even though that application had been removed from the registry. Also I would be expecting things to connect at 38K, not 9600 but I don’t think that would be the primary problem. I would try another serial port number starting with #1. Use the device manager to set the port. If it tells you that port is already in use chose another. When you find a clean port change your application to match.

If that doesn’t get you anywhere it is possible you have a bad cable. Elecraft has had a lot of bad cables before and it could happen again. Call them and they can talk you through verifying and replacing the cable.

73

Fred, AE6QL

From: Elecraft_K3@... [mailto:Elecraft_K3@...]
Sent: Thursday, May 5, 2016 2:42 AM
To: Elecraft_K3@...
Subject: Re: [Elecraft_K3] Help with W1

Fred,

Thanks for the reply.  By "prescribed" I mean the settings specified in the error message that pops up with each start:  "9600 bits, 8 data bits, No Parity, No Handshaking."  As far as the cabling, it's a new KXUSB cable from Elecraft purchased at the same time as the W1 (a few weeks ago).

Let me be a little more specific and explain in more detail.  Each time I run the software I get the error message about needing to select a valid Com port.  If I just click "OK" the program usually works as one would expect.  If I change any settings I get an error message that the changes couldn't be saved, but the next time I start the program they actually have been saved.  I was going to live with that simply as an annoyance until yesterday when on several start-ups the software was completely non-responsive.  After trying it a several times I got it back, but am concerned that it may become permanent which would, of course, mean I wouldn't be able to change any of W1's settings.

73,

Mike, W3QT

On 5/4/2016 8:15 PM, 'Fred Townsend' fptownsend@... [Elecraft_K3] wrote:

Mike it would seem you have all bases covered except ‘as prescribed’ tells me nothing nor does it prove your cabling is correct. How are you connecting. Make sure the baud rate settings are the same speed as well a set to 8n1. If that is all proper then your cabling is suspect.

73

Fred, AE6QL