Re: [Elecraft_K3] Re: My K3S appears to have a problem...

Jim - N4ST

Bob,
This happened to me a while back.
Made a couple of JT65 QSOs on 40M with the RX antenna selected and no RX antenna present.

From: Elecraft_K3@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Elecraft_K3@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Saturday, April 23, 2016 01:43
To: Elecraft_K3@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Elecraft_K3] Re: My K3S appears to have a problem...

That's it! That's it! I must've thumped the button shifting the rig around on the bench to get the big network analyzer into position.

Whew!

Thank you so much for getting me back up and running.

-Bob N3XKB

On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 11:17 PM, mailto:sbloom@acsalaska.net [Elecraft_K3] <mailto:Elecraft_K3@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

RX Ant on or off is set per band ...(as are filter settings ..and many other things" ..If you see "RX" displayed on 40M ..but not on other bands ..that would be it.

Steve KL7SB

On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 23:05:57 -0600, "Bob Darlington mailto:rdarlington@gmail.com [Elecraft_K3]" <mailto:Elecraft_K3@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Yes, I've swapped the antenna between the two ports and selected them with the ant button.
I see a similar problem in the archives but my problem is limited to one band. Hopefully the Elecraft crew will shed some light on this.
On Apr 22, 2016 11:01 PM, "'Stephen Bloom' mailto:sbloom@acsalaska.net [Elecraft_K3]" <mailto:Elecraft_K3@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

By any chance do you have the RX antenna selected ? If you do…but either have nothing connected or are using that port for an external preamp ..that would explain it.

Steve KL7SB

From: mailto:Elecraft_K3@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mailto:Elecraft_K3@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Friday, April 22, 2016 7:59 PM
To: mailto:Elecraft_K3@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Elecraft_K3] Re: My K3S appears to have a problem...

Just another tidbit of info,

With the preamp on, I can see signals pretty much like what I was used to. S meter peaking at about S3 on what I can only assume are strong signals. My waterfall display (lp-pan + Win4k3Suite) looks about normal with the preamp on. The attenuator is definitely not on for my testing. The only real signal I see on the display is about 4kHz above where I'm tuned, no matter what I'm tuned to on the 40 meter band.

Other bands I'm bouncing between S5 and S9 without the preamp.

-Bob N3XKB

On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 9:31 PM, Bob Darlington <mailto:rdarlington@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi guys,
My fairly new K3S appears to have a problem on the 40 meter band. It's deaf. S-meter flickers on the first bar unless there's a really strong signal. If I run my signal generator into a long wire I can get it up to perhaps S-5 while sitting in the same room as the radio (obviously not directly attached).

Now, I was working on trimming/adjusting my 40 meter dipole for low SWR right around 7.070MHz using a network analyzer (spiffy cool Agilent) attached to the coax switch.

After half a dozen adjustments it looks great. Like 1.05:1 SWR going up to about 1.3:1 +/- 50kHz.

So to eliminate the antenna as an issue I attached my IC-7000 using the same cable running into the antenna port 1 on the K3S and it's a noisy S9.

Is it possible to damage the rig on one band only? The others seem fine. I've flipped connections between antenna ports and the radio behaves as expected on other bands. 40 meter is just deaf to anything but very strong signals.

Before I suspected I had a problem I was able to have a PSK31 QSO with a guy in the next state over. 599 all the way, said I had a strong signal. Running through ye olde Bird watt meter, I'm producing plenty of RF out.

Any ideas?

Bob, N3XKB

Join Elecraft-K3@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.