Re: [Elecraft_K3] Compare the K3 with the IC-7300

mikerodgerske5gbc

"At what point is a radio good enough"

That depends on the mode and the seriousness of the user and probably a few other things.

For SSB, more of a limiting factor for the receiver is the mediocre transmitter
not receivers and that will continue at 12v. Rob has said a lot less than 140 should be sufficient for ssb.

If you've already got a rig your happy with, use it.

If your in the market for a new one as I was 6 years ago, there is no reason to settle for 10th best.

My k3 was $2500. It was and still is pretty bare bones.

73
Mike R

Find me on "Zello", a walkie talkie or handi talkie type app. I'm listed as KE5GBC. I'm mostly on late at night.

On Apr 11, 2016, at 1:34 AM, "dalej dj2001x@comcast.net [Elecraft_K3]" <Elecraft_K3@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Oh, I see. So you're comparing apples to oranges with your price.

Sherwood's tables are sorted for the 2 Khz dynamic range. If you re-sort to say blocking then the picture changes for various rigs, the very old Icom 765 would be up in ranking then.

Have a nice day.

73
Dale, k9vuj

On 10, Apr 2016, at 21:10, "miscwrc@ct.metrocast.net [Elecraft_K3]" <Elecraft_K3@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

When I made the comment I made "K-Line" referred to a fully decked out K3s with subreceiver and loaded with the good filters, the KAT500, the KPA-500 etc. Actually that is way over $7,000 I suspect. I have the KAT500 and KPA-500 and priced out a full bore K3s w good filters at $6,500 as I recall. That is less than the direct competitor's offering,

I never said it was overpriced. What I said was, I'll add color now, from looking at Rob's most excellent rankings it appears the 6700 and K3s are statistically in a dead heat. I do not believe the 7300 is in the same league as either. However, if I were to listen to one play the violin, I wouldn't be able to tell whether they were using a Stradivarius or something from Walmart. At what point is a radio 'good enough'? On the other forum I asked that question, several times. Not to be provocative but because I couldn't tell. The answer I, essentially, got back was if you don't know, you don't deserve to own one. From what I understand, the IC-7300 comes in 3 flavors, 100w, 50w and 10w? Buy the 50w version and plug it into the KPA-500 and you have a 500w SDR for, likely, under $1,000 (out of pocket), complete with panadapter, knobs, dials, and rocker switches. That it isn't in win, place, or show on Rob's list? I am not sure that matters. How does it compare to the 590sg? I am certain Rob will let us know.

Walt

Yahoo Groups Links