Re: [Elecraft_K3] Compare the K3 with the IC-7300

Dean LaClair

15k, Harry ? That's a "cheapie" hihi
73 Dean K2WW

On Apr 10, 2016 3:57 PM, "harry latterman harrylatterman@... [Elecraft_K3]" <Elecraft_K3@...> wrote:

I have a friend (none ham) who has over $15,000 invested in his bass board, trailer, motor, poles, reels and we are not even adding in the truck that hauls it... Hobbies can be expensive.

2 cent
Harry  K7ZOV

From: "dalej dj2001x@... [Elecraft_K3]" <Elecraft_K3@...>
To: Elecraft_K3@...
Sent: Sunday, April 10, 2016 12:31 PM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft_K3] Compare the K3 with the IC-7300

Really?  Is the Elecraft K3 $7000 now??  Or did I misread again.

BTW, I've read about some hams spending $10000 plus on a rig and complaining about the price of a PL259, hi.

Dale, K9VUJ

On 10, Apr 2016, at 12:22, miscwrc@... [Elecraft_K3] <Elecraft_K3@...> wrote:

This is such an interesting topic for a variety of reasons.  A question I've been asking, for what seems like forever, is "so just how are SDR radios better. The take away from Rob Sherwood's most excellent web page (table) is (I will be sent to hell for this) they aren't. Not on the technical merits. Here's what I think, from the perspective of the vendor, ABSOLUTELY, because they are far less expensive to manufacture. Yes, the software is expensive, especially if you put it in one radio. But if the software engineering effort is spread across thousands of radios the per radio software cost is low. I am, for the sake of this discussion, discounting multiple simultaneously opened bands, despite the fact you can only talk on one of them. People will come back with it has a panadapter to graphically display the band segment. Yep, and so does the $1,000 IC-730.

I think it is a myth that ham radio operators are cheap. They will drop $9,000 on a Flex, $7,000 on a K-line, $10,000 on a MonsterIR, and some additional thousands on a tower. And that's for the ones that don't build out a farm. All on the mistaken belief more expensive is better. I suspect the real benefit of SDR accrues to the manufacturer. In that sense, I suspect the IC-7300 will be ICOM's most profitable ham radio. It may not be their best but I suspect it is their most profitable...as will the IC-7351 when it becomes their top of the line radio.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)