Re: [Elecraft_K3] Compare the K3 with the IC-7300

ab2tc

Hi Rob,

I agree with you on the progress in receivers. On SSB they are now *way* better than can ever be utilized as transmitters are way too dirty. Unfortunately on the TX side there has been no progress, just the opposite. Today's solid state  transmitters (including Elecraft's) on SSB are *way* dirtier than the tube ones of the past. It *can* be done in solid state. A number of technologies have been suggested but none have been adopted by mainstream companies. It's a real pity.

AB2TC - Knut

---In Elecraft_K3@..., <rob@...> wrote :

Everyone's disposable income is different. As I neared retirement, I bought a house on 10 acres out in the sticks to play ham radio. How crazy is that?  If we look at the top radios on my web site, once I get the IC-7851 posted, they are the Flex 6700, the K3S and the IC-7851. Hard to argue one is significantly better than the other. Different architectures: direct sampling, down conversion and up conversation.  Price ranges in round numbers $3K to $7K to $14K.

The Apache ANAN is also a good radio and they don't have to pay a dime for software.

Operationally the user interfaces are different, and I know I cannot watch 7 bands at once. I doubt I could do SO2R !  We can now buy a really nice TS-590SG for $$1300, and an IC-7300 for $1500, less if you want to wait a month or two.  Lots of choices for radios that all perform well in adverse conditions.  Look how far we have come from when the Orion broke new ground in 2003 after 20+ years of mediocre 70 dB radio, and then the K3 in 2008.

Rob, NC0B

On Apr 10, 2016, at 1:03 PM, "miscwrc@... [Elecraft_K3]" <Elecraft_K3@...> wrote:

This is such an interesting topic for a variety of reasons.  A question I've been asking, for what seems like forever, is "so just how are SDR radios better. The take away from Rob Sherwood's most excellent web page (table) is (I will be sent to hell for this) they aren't. Not on the technical merits. Here's what I think, from the perspective of the vendor, ABSOLUTELY, because they are far less expensive to manufacture. Yes, the software is expensive, especially if you put it in one radio. But if the software engineering effort is spread across thousands of radios the per radio software cost is low. I am, for the sake of this discussion, discounting multiple simultaneously opened bands, despite the fact you can only talk on one of them. People will come back with it has a panadapter to graphically display the band segment. Yep, and so does the $1,000 IC-730.

I think it is a myth that ham radio operators are cheap. They will drop $9,000 on a Flex, $7,000 on a K-line, $10,000 on a MonsterIR, and some additional thousands on a tower. And that's for the ones that don't build out a farm. All on the mistaken belief more expensive is better. I suspect the real benefit of SDR accrues to the manufacturer. In that sense, I suspect the IC-7300 will be ICOM's most profitable ham radio. It may not be their best but I suspect it is their most profitable...as will the IC-7351 when it becomes their top of the line radio.

If this email is spam, report it to www.OnlyMyEmail.com