Re: [Elecraft_K3] MFJ-905K3

Olli

Certainly depends. Elecraft has a local Californian assembler and is just sourcing the parts from around the world. Would imagine MFJ let their items getting assembled completely in China. Same components, much less labour costs! Just as one valid reason for the price difference ...

But no matter what. Would at least be a much cheaper 2x1 antenna switch internal to the K3. I do have the KAT3 in one of my two K3s (use it portable at times where the tuner comes in handy). I skipped it on the second one as I would only need it for antenna switching for what I use the 2nd K3 for. US$320 is just too much for use as a simple 2x1 switch. Of course the MFJ price, too, is much too high for that kind of application so sticking with my external homebrew solution. Wish Elecraft would come out with a simple KAT3 replacement board doing nothing else than switching between ANT1 and ANT2. Logic is all there already, just need the PCB and a few components. Should be doable for US$50 even allowing for some profit. ;-) But despite some demand (there were a number of discussions in the past already) they rather point people to the KAT3(A) if needing 2 antenna ports. Evil to him who evil thinks ... ;-)

73, Olli - DH8BQA

Am 24.01.2016 um 16:27 schrieb 'Joe Subich, W4TV' lists@... [Elecraft_K3]:

I doubt that Elecraft would be padding their profit by $100 or
MJF would be selling their product for essentially no profit.

Admittedly, if MFJ were copying Elecraft's design and using the
K3/K3S on board processor they could certainly build in a lot
less for R&D costs. If that were the case and I was Elecraft,
I would see if there was a way to distinguish among the KAT3,
KAT3A and MFJ-903K3 and refuse to work with the MFJ version.

73,

... Joe, W4TV