Re: [Elecraft_K3] MFJ-905K3

w3qt_mike

Hi Scott,

I'm a K3s user looking forward to expanding my Elecraft line.  I think Elecraft quality is better, and their customer service/support is hands down superior.  Exercise caution, however, when looking at eHam reviews.  In statistical analysis we would never use "voluntary" polls (reviews are a form of poll) because they are notoriously unreliable.  I've written eHam reviews, so I'm not opposed to them per se.  People who "volunteer" responses, however, usually are on a mission.  They love it or hate it for one reason or another which may have nothing to do with performance.  I look at the reviews, but only the 1s, 2s, and 3s, because I want to know what's driving the negativity.  I suspect at least a few of MFJ's ratings are what they are because of a herd mentality against MFJ.  Some MFJ products are fine.  Some aren't.  I've had both.  Science, like ARRL Labs or Sherwood, beats anecdote.  eHam reviews typically are anecdotal and therefore unreliable.

73,
Mike, W3QT

On 1/24/2016 11:19 AM, ka9p@... [Elecraft_K3] wrote:

What might be instructive is to look on eHam at the number of MFJ tuner reviews, for example, and count the number of tuners that average below 4.0.

Reviewing that data you wouldn't have to be much a kool aid drinking fan boy to conclude that Elecraft quality might be a better bet.

73 Scott ka9p

In a message dated 1/24/2016 9:08:37 A.M. Central Standard Time, Elecraft_K3@... writes:

Well Kieth you said more than what you wrote below. Kool-aid, Elecraft overpriced, MFJ $200, quoted other posters and more. I didn’t see anyone trying to sell the KAT3. I have one, but never use it. I have the KAT500 and it is excellent, tunes more than 10:1 mismatch.

I like Elecraft gear, frankly it’s the gear I’ve stuck to longer more than any others in my 56 years of hamming due to performance, adjustability, customer service to name a few..

So enjoy that K3s, let us know how you like the MFJ tuner. I always like to hear about new gear, but at the end of the day I have yet to find anything that I like better or performs better than my Elecraft gear. I hear the Icom 7851 is very good, I’ve not seen any test reports on it’s receiver performance yet, however at $14000 I am not interested, besides I don’t have the room, I had a 7800 and it took up a significant part of my desk plus it was a back breaker, I can’t handle big heavy rigs and shipping costs alone are a drain on the pocketbook.

73
Dale, k9vuj

On 24, Jan 2016, at 7:40, Keith Ennis nelasat@... [Elecraft_K3] wrote:

I'm not trying to sell anything. Everyone else it trying to sell the KAT3A. I have owned an Elecraft K3 starting in 2009 and have upgraded to a new K3s. I don't need the ATU but plan to order one as soon as I return to the States. I'm just not the kind to sit with blinders on and drink Kool-Aid all day. I just saw the product yesterday and only asked if anyone had seen the atu.

73

Keith, KV5J

On Sunday, January 24, 2016 8:23 AM, "dalej dj2001x@... [Elecraft_K3]" wrote:

Keith,

Why don't you buy one, install it in your K3, (if you have one) and report back.

It appears you are attempting to either sell these or entice others to try it first.

Anyway good luck and I hope it works out for you.

73
Dale, K9VUJ

On 24, Jan 2016, at 7:08, "Keith Ennis nelasat@... [Elecraft_K3]" wrote:

" Given the same circuit design and network values, the only
opportunity for MFJ too save cost is to reduce the cost of
the parts. To me that means two things ... lower quality
and less efficiency. "

or Elecraft's profit is very high.

Keith

On Saturday, January 23, 2016 9:48 PM, "'Joe Subich, W4TV' lists@... [Elecraft_K3]" wrote:

The "smarts" for the Elecraft K3/K3S tuner are in the rig's
firmware/processor. This is not the case of a fully formed
"replacement" for the tuner/wattmeter/processor system and
any replacement tuner would need to have the same component
(L/C) values in order to work correctly with the rest of the
rig.

Given the same circuit design and network values, the only
opportunity for MFJ too save cost is to reduce the cost of
the parts. To me that means two things ... lower quality
and less efficiency.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 1/23/2016 8:34 PM, harry latterman harrylatterman@...
[Elecraft_K3] wrote:
> Interesting board.... Just a observation on my part. I have a new
> MFJ-939Y for my FT-991. After having a few other MFJ ATU units, I
> can honestly say this turbo charged ATU does not play or feel like a
> typical Might Fine Junk product. I venture to make a wild guess they
> have a new outside design source or hired someone who knows what
> he/she is doing. The seeing the MFJ-905K3 is no surprise. New
> talent means new products. If this board is half as good as the
> MFJ-939Y(I or K), it might be a really good buy....
>
> 2 cents and back under my rock... My K3 already has the ATU and I
> also have the KAT500.... Love them both.. 73 Harry K7ZOV

Yahoo Groups Links