Re: [Elecraft_K3] Output problem on 80 and 160 meters

Rick NK7I

The answer there is to take the USB-Serial device and plug it into EACH USB port on your computer and (via Device Manager) TELL the OS what port you want it to be in each case (the same).  Do this with each of your USB-Serial cables (because they often have a unique ID code) before you actually intend to use them.  In the long run, it's simpler (I got tired of that and went a different route and now use real serial ports).

The utility program can also rescan the available ports to see what shows up, so you can try each one in turn to see if one works for you.  Or scan it with the cable unplugged, plug it in, wait for the OS noise, then scan again and choose the one that was added.

This of course presumes that the serial port on the radio has not been compromised.  A (power off) reboot of the computer (and radio) often clears some issues as well (drivers hang, the OS belches...).

Merry CHRISTmas,
Rick wa6nhc

On 12/23/2015 3:14 PM, Mike Flowers mike.flowers@... [Elecraft_K3] wrote:

Hi Peter,

Depending what your COM Port 3 is, Windows will sometimes change com port assignments.

This is often the case if USB/COM port converters are used.  Unplugging and replugging these can lead to this.

Use Device Manager to determine what COM ports are defined and try them all.

-- Mike Flowers, K6MKF, NCDXC - "It's about DX!"

On Dec 23, 2015, at 12:42 AM, 'Peter Ravn' fasan5@... [Elecraft_K3] <Elecraft_K3@...> wrote:

I’m stuck in the troubleshooting process, as I can’t connect my PC with the latest K3 utility to the K3. I keep getting the message “Attempting to contact K3 on port COM3”. I’m using Windows and have tried various serial cables, including the original one.

Peter OZ8CTH