Why do you think you are connected to COMM 3?

Are you using a USB to serial cable or s true RS-232 serial cable?  If the latter it's probably COMM 1.

...nr4c. bill

On Dec 23, 2015, at 3:42 AM, 'Peter Ravn' fasan5@... [Elecraft_K3] <Elecraft_K3@...> wrote:

I’m stuck in the troubleshooting process, as I can’t connect my PC with the latest K3 utility to the K3. I keep getting the message “Attempting to contact K3 on port COM3”. I’m using Windows and have tried various serial cables, including the original one.

Peter OZ8CTH

Fra: Elecraft_K3@... [mailto:Elecraft_K3@...]
Sendt: 21. december 2015 11:29
Til: Elecraft_K3@...
Emne: Re: SV: [Elecraft_K3] Output problem on 80 and 160 meters

In 2008 I posted the following which I don't recall ever being clarified and which *may* have a bearing on this thread....

"Been wondering just how the TX Gain calibration works. To quote from the manual -

"The gain constant is updated whenever the TUNE function is activated on a given
band at one of three specific power levels: 5.0W, 50W, and 1.00 milliwatt."

So if I'm adjusting my external ATU by TUNE(ing) at say 5watts, will the (LP)Tx gain constant be updated while feeding into an unspecified load. The described procedure requires the use of a dummy load to set the gain constant; if the load isn't 50 ohm resistive will the constant be set to some anomalous figure which may not be updated when the atu eventually presents (hopefully) 50R to the K3?? "

It certainly appeared to be an issue for me until I ensured I stayed away from exactly 5w when adjusting external ATUs, amps etc as it seemed this would update the low power TxGn settings when the load was far away from 50 ohms resistive and so screw up the gain settings. The same would apply for tuning at exactly 50w for the high power setting - 4.9w, 51w etc should be good.....

73,

Stew, GW0ETF

---In Elecraft_K3@..., <everettsharp@...> wrote :

Recently I was checking the power output on my K3, after changing to the new synthesizer board.  Having completed the transmit power calibration using the Utility program I found that on some bands I had low power output. After spending a half hour, or more, I discovered that I had the ATU engaged. Once I bypassed it everything was normal on all bands.

So the long and short of this is make sure you have you ATU bypassed when checking your power output when using a dummy load.

Everett N4CY

On Dec 20, 2015, at 5:59 PM, mikerodgerske5gbc@... [Elecraft_K3] <Elecraft_K3@...> wrote:

Peter, as Bill said, might be the latest firmware glitch. Hope so.

Mike R

Find me on "Zello", a walkie talkie or handi talkie type app. I'm listed as KE5GBC. I'm mostly on late at night.