Re: [Elecraft_K3] Re: P3 or SDR

Rob Sherwood

I was incorrect.  The output is 5 dB below antenna level.  I had the preamp ON, 20 meters, and that messed up my measurement.  Wayne straightened me out last night and I confirmed it in the lab.  Sorry for the error. 

Rob
NC0B

On Nov 2, 2015, at 5:45 AM, "n8lp@... [Elecraft_K3]" <Elecraft_K3@...> wrote:

I doubt it. The IF output on the earlier versions of the KVX3 were just connectors. The buffer was on the main PCB. I haven't looked at the schematics, but if the transfer gain has changed, then I suspect some circuitry on the main board has changed... either in the buffer, the preamp, preselectors or the 1st mixer, or some combination.

Larry N8LP

---In Elecraft_K3@..., wrote :

Is that due to the new KXV3B?

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S® 5 ACTIVE™, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

-------- Original message --------
From: "Rob Sherwood. rob@... [Elecraft_K3]" <Elecraft_K3@...>
Date: 10/31/2015 07:48 (GMT-06:00)
To: "<Elecraft_K3@...>" <Elecraft_K3@...>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft_K3] Re: P3 or SDR

The buffered output of the K3S is really nice, being about 5 dB stronger than the signal at the antenna.  Nice improvement over the K3 level.  I hooked up a Perseus to it recently, and you can get any level of detail you want by adjusting the span or the vertical resolution. 5 dB per division worked the best.  

Rob, NC0B

On Oct 31, 2015, at 1:11 AM, "joe_word@... [Elecraft_K3]" <Elecraft_K3@...> wrote:

A RTL-SDR dongle with free software like HDSDR works great, and it can be done for less than $100 (US), assuming you have the I/O board in the K3. This method is a little "messy" with RTL-SDR dongle, up-converter, cables and PC, but the scope quality is very good.

Presently I am enjoying the much more expensive P3 with SVGA adapter feeding a PC monitor. My primary station "must" have a detailed band scope like Apache Labs or Flex radio and the P3 is every bit as good.

Joe  N9VX

If this email is spam, report it to www.OnlyMyEmail.com

If this email is spam, report it to www.OnlyMyEmail.com

Join Elecraft-K3@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.