Re: [Elecraft_K3] upgraded synthesizers more quiet ?

David McClain

Interesting.... But that rating puts it high based on narrow spaced 3rd order IMD. T

hat may be important in some situations. But it also ranks my lowly Flex-1500 higher that an IC-7700 or IC-7800. I can tell you from personal experience, every day in my shack, that while I enjoy all of my different radios, there is no comparison between the Flex-1500 and my IC-7700. Most of the time I run my K3 in tandem with the IC-7700. I like all of my radios. But if push came to shove, I'd probably have to go with the Icom. Tough decision because the K3 is also terrific.

I just state all that to say that there is definitely more to daily operation than the Sherwood rating alone.

I was just notified that my pair of new synths were just shipped from Elecraft. It will be interesting to see if they quiet the K3 down to the level of the IC-7700. Some hams on 40m have stated that the new synths almost completely remove the low level hash from the P3 display. We'll see...

73 de Dave, N7AIG

Dr. David McClain
Tel: (+1) 520-529-2437

On May 15, 2015, at 21:21, Phil Wheeler w7ox@... [Elecraft_K3] <Elecraft_K3@...> wrote:

Yes.  Look here: http://www.sherweng.com/table.html

Phil W7OX

On 5/15/15 6:31 PM, medical35@... [Elecraft_K3] wrote:

I have two K3's. My main K3 is serial number 63XX.
Would the RX be any quieter if I upgraded synthesizers or would it not have anything to do with it?
I also have a KX3 and it's a lot quieter on RX than my K3. Signals just as loud as K3 just a lot less QRN.
I don't even have to roll the RF gain back any the KX3 is so quiet.
The serial number on the KX3 is 69XX.
Thanks
Jim K4KOR