Re: [Elecraft_K3] OT Industrial Software, was New K3

Carl Moreschi

Flex is very stable now.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
58 Hogwood Rd
Louisburg, NC 27549
www.n4py.com

On 5/7/2014 12:29 AM, Keith Heimbold wrote:
Thanks for the heads up on a 3-5 year wait for the flex to become stable
from a software perspective. Guess one must weigh more seamless remote
integration against a software product that will require years before it
is beyond beta. I am disappointed to hear as such. Definitely an even
more expensive toy to play with than other mature albeit older
technology options. Plus no knobs. Hmmmm.

Keith
AK6ZZ

Sent from my iPhone please excuse typos

On May 6, 2014, at 7:46 PM, "harry latterman" <harrylatterman@yahoo.com
<mailto:harrylatterman@yahoo.com>> wrote:

The Flex-6000, as I stated before, has more computing power then even
some high end servers. From what I have been able to find the unit has
a ARM Cortex-A8/Neon CPU, Xilinx Virtex-6 FPGA (Field-Programmable
Gate Array) and tucks along at 317 GMAC (Giga <billion>
Multiply-Accumulate Operations per Second) and 121 GFLOPS (Giga
<billion> Floating Point Operations Per Secon). So what does this
mean? The Flex-6000 is a bloody Super Computer. Makes the Fastest PC
or MAC look like a hand held calculator in comparison. That means not
your typical software. The complexity of this radio as far and above
anything I have ever seen, except in the commercial and military
equipment market.

So based on this level of complexity it is understandable to me that
they need to recover some of the costs of software development. This
radio is light years ahead of the Flex-5000/PSDR radio in many ways.

If you want a super computer for a radio you will pay for it in many
ways. It is a radio technology that is a work in progress. In maybe 3
-5 yrs from now it should be a stable design when it comes to the
software. For now it is a very advance radio with a ways to go and
those who jump in now will have a interesting ride and a hole in their
pocket book...LOL

Harry K7OZV

On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 5:14 PM, "ne1rd@arrl.net
<mailto:ne1rd@arrl.net>" <ne1rd@arrl.net <mailto:ne1rd@arrl.net>> wrote:
Upgrades (major upgrades) are often offered at a cost. Microsoft
Office, Adobe Design Suite, Autodesk, and any number of other software
packages are offered for a price and small "dot release" upgrades are
offered for free. But, major releases cost money.

Software costs money to write. Even people who give away their
software (like me) invest time where they could have been doing
something else to enrich their life. The expectation that all software
should be free because some of it is free is not a good argument.

It is terrific when software releases (even major ones) are offered
for free, but asking all users who benefit from the new capabilities
to contribute financially to its development is not unreasonable. If,
for example, a new software release gives your radio a new feature,
why shouldn't the developer offer to sell it to you (and not be
compelled to just give it away)?

Few of us have unlimited funds for the hobby. We must budget for the
things that make our stations effective. One of those categories of
things is software: software for your logging, software for
propagation prediction, and software for your radio and other devices.
Elecraft has (so far) allowed us to budget zero for this -- but that
decision should not be conflated to mean software is cost-free to
develop. Nothing could be farther from the truth. I'm sure Elecraft
has invested thousands of hours in software development for their
various products. I respect that commitment and respect their right to
charge for upgrades, should they ever do it. Flex, of course, has that
same right.

-- Scott (NE1RD)